Wednesday, February 13, 2008

A Litany of Change

I had to see for myself, "Does an Obama speech really consist of nothing?" So I grabbed one and chewed it up. This is for New Orleans, and is amazingly, full of absolutely nothing! Wow, so I went after the obvious hook lines, just to see them all together. Here you go:
"When I am President, I will start by restoring that most basic trust - that your government will do what it takes to keep you safe.

When I am President, the days of dysfunction and cronyism in Washington will be over.

All of this will cost money.

I promise you that when I'm in the White House I will commit myself every day to keeping up Washington's end of this trust.

That is what is possible if we can trust each other; and if we have the imagination to see the unseen, and the determination to work for it."

Well there you have it. Oh sure there was lots of local flavor in between, with the inevitable rhetoric and empty promises. Even a specific new 4k tax credit for college students. But for the most part, the above covers Obama's complete platform.

First and foremost, your government is there to keep you safe. Then the glorious promise of a functioning D.C., from the most liberal senator currently serving. Something is missing in that one. Next, it will cost money, so "we need more of yours..." Then, he promises to spend that money, which I can believe. Can we see it? Oh yeah, we already have it. Change? What change?

No comments: